How-To: Schedule Full Automatic cPanel Backups for MySQL Databases and Files using the Cron

by Paul on September 10, 2011

Update Oct. 2012!

This script has been thoroughly revised and updated and works with the latest version of cPanel and WHM. And it’s still free! Also, a new version of the WHM reseller backup script has been released.

The guide in this video is for version 1.0 of the script. It has since be updated significantly – you should edit config.php instead

Ensuring your website and data are safe in the event of a disaster can be a tricky and time consuming task.

Have you recently made a complete backup of your website?

“No” is not a option any more – it’s easy with the right tools.

For those of you who don’t have professional grade Managed WordPress Hosting that handles all this for you, we have built a script that will completely automate your daily/weekly backups.

We have built it for those out there that use cPanel (so we don’t support Plesk, sorry).

Schedule automatic web hosting backups for your MySQL and file Data

Of course, this automation script is completely free and we encourage you do to download it and set it up.

Further, to make it easy we have provided a clear step-by-step how-to video so you can implement it yourself in about 5 minutes without any hassle whatsoever.

Automatic backups in 4 easy-to-follow steps

1. Download the script that we wrote.
  2. Edit the script with your web hosting details
  3. Upload the script to your web hosting using your FTP client
  4. Setup the automation (“cron” job)

You can download the cPanel backup script written in PHP here.

Easy to follow Video guide on how to setup the CPanel automatic backup

To make things super easy for you, I have put together a 4 minute video that outlines all you need to get the automation script installed on your web hosting site.

If you have any issues, please feel free to write a comment below, or on the Video on YouTube.

What Next?

If you’re having hassles with your web hosting and would prefer someone look after your website ensuring that you’re secure and your data is always backed up, please have a look at our Managed WordPress Hosting option.

Of course, if you’re just starting out, remember you can get a brand new, top-class website based on WordPress for only 100!

Use the form below to join our Developer Channel

Do you need an automated CPanel web hosting backup script? There is that and more in the Developer Channel

{ 87 comments… read them below or add one }

jim September 22, 2011 at 3:37 pm

anyway to adapt this script to backup a full server instead of one cpanel account?
I’m looking for something like this, but it would backup all the accounts on my WHM instead of just one.
Thanks,.

Paul September 22, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Hey Jim,

I believe it could be. We’re using the cPanel API and I think it should have that capability. We’ll have a look at it and if we find it’s straight forward enough to adapt, we’ll do so, or create a whole other script.

We’ll keep you posted. If you’re subscribed to the developer channel, you’ll receive immediate notice of the update of course.

Thanks for the suggestion.

jim September 23, 2011 at 2:09 am

thanks Paul!!

Bruno September 26, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Fantastic, I can give this to my clients πŸ™‚

Paul September 26, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Hey Bruno,

Glad you find it useful! πŸ™‚ I welcome any feedback you might have for the script…

Cheers,

jim September 27, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Hi Paul – the backups are not working for me on this and I’m not getting any email saying it worked or didn’t. Where would I be able to see why it’s not working?

Paul September 27, 2011 at 11:21 pm

this script has no logging support… if the script is causing serious errors, there may be a file in the folder where you’re running it from called: ‘error_log’

Give the video another look and make sure you’re following it to the letter and you’ve got your files and folders all in the right place. Download the original file again, and check you haven’t got and extra, or even missing, quotes and semi-colons here and there – the original file is syntactically correct (though of course will never work without editing with real values)

failing this, you could contact me at: paul [-at-] …. (this domain)
and attach me the PHP file as you’ve edited it so I can give it a look over.

Cheers,

Sasha September 29, 2011 at 9:07 am

Thanks for the script.
I would like to backup databases only. Is there option for that?

Paul September 29, 2011 at 10:29 am

Hi Sasha,

This CPanel backup script isn’t granular to backup only files and/or databases because the CPanel API is limited in this functionality.

However, we are looking at creating a script that will allow you to do just as you ask. Once this is released, we’ll notify everyone through the Developer Channel newsletter list.

Thanks for the feedback!
Cheers,

Sasha October 1, 2011 at 12:36 pm

i have tried script but on the end of email log there is error:
Can’t call method “login” on an undefined value at /usr/local/cpanel/bin/ftpput line 29.

File isn’t copied to remote ftp server and it’s deleted from my home directory.

Paul October 1, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Sasha,
I’d need to see how you’ve edited the script. If you want, you can contact us directly from our Support->contact page.

Do you know what version of Cpanel your webhost is using?

Sasha October 1, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I have changed ftp_method to ftp and it worked.

john October 12, 2011 at 8:12 am

I downloaded the cpanel backup and the sql backup scripts. Neither one looks anything like the one you show in the video. There are no places to edit the info for my server except for changing the false to true and adding my domain IP. The scripts I downloaded are a giant conglomeration of various scripts like how to suspend accounts etc.

Paul October 12, 2011 at 11:36 am

Hi John,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I’ve double-checked the downloads and they are as I have outlined. Perhaps you’re looking at the xmlapi.php file. This should be left alone and it’s the other file in the package that you need to edit.

Sorry that this is confusing for you, but I assure you, the downloads are as we have described.

Thanks.

Garry December 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I’m using a shared web hosting service and as far as I know I don’t have an alternative serer to backup to. With this script is it possible to: –

1. Backup to a folder on the same server
or
2. Have the backup file zipped and sent to an email address

Also when you backup will the new backup overwrite the previous backup or you keep getting additional backup files added until you end up with lots of different backup files if you don’t delete the old ones?

Thanks very much

Paul December 22, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Hi Garry,

Q1) Yes, I believe you can backup to the same folder within which the script is running if you don’t specify valid FTP details.

Q2) The files would be just too large to send to an email account – it wouldnt’ be practical.

And no, it doesn’t automatically clean up old backup files… you will have to manually maintain these.

Hope this helps – let me know if you have any other questions.

ankur December 30, 2011 at 4:07 am

Hi paul,
this script is not working anymore

Paul December 30, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Hi Ankur,

Can you elaborate on this a bit further – are you receiving error messages of any sort?

Lance February 23, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Keep this going please, great job!

Bogdan March 8, 2012 at 10:33 am

Works. Thanks a lot! πŸ™‚

Paul March 8, 2012 at 10:36 am

Great to hear your success Bogdan! Thanks for letting us know.

Simon March 14, 2012 at 8:57 am

Hi,

For some reason, even though I am logged in on the developer channel, none of the download links are functioning, from the following page: http://www.hostliketoast.com/developer-channel/, they are just linking to login?

Am I missing something?

Paul March 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Hi Simon,

This problem is now rectified. It seemed to work for Firefox but not for Chrome and we were able to narrow down why that was. I hope this didn’t inconvenience you too much… feel free to go now and grab what ya need!

Hugh June 17, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Hi,
I have followed all your instructions, and after the cron job runs I get an email with the error message:

No input file specified.

Any idea what’s happened here?

Thanks.

Hugh June 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm

EDIT: Sorted it out, thanks for the script.

Paul June 18, 2012 at 9:26 am

Hi Hugh,

Glad to hear you got it sorted… it’s usually a simple problem that causes these types of errors.

Of course, if you have any other problems, please let us know.
Thanks

Hugh June 18, 2012 at 4:25 am

Hi,

I have this running fine, thanks.

Just curious, how does the script deal with previous backup .gz files in the home directory. It would be redundant to include these in the ftp transfer, and they would simply bloat any new .gz file if they were included.

Cheers.

Paul June 18, 2012 at 9:29 am

Hey,

Unfortunately the script doesn’t deal with old backups – it simply packages up the site using native cPanel API calls and FTPs it or not depending on your settings.

If you FTP it offsite, it wont retain the .gz file in the original hosting account so you wont have that bloat. That’s from memory, but I’m fairly sure that’s how it works.

Hugh June 19, 2012 at 5:11 am

OK, thanks for that.

john June 19, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Is there a xlmapi.php update, this script doesn’t seem to be working on CPanel version
11.32.3 (build 19) Or perhaps my host server configuration won’t run the script?

Thanks

Paul June 19, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Hi John,

Since this script has been released, there have been a couple of updates to the api file, but not that would affect the backup.

That said however, if you want to try replacing your xlmapi.php with the latest, it’s definitely worth a shot – we’d love to hear if this change alone helps you and we’d consider updating our package to use it.

Go here: https://github.com/CpanelInc/xmlapi-php/blob/master/xmlapi.php

Select all the code and copy-paste that into your file, replacing the existing contents. Then run the backup script as before.

Let me know how you get on, thanks!

john June 19, 2012 at 7:39 pm

These are the errors, although the files/directories are on the server. Seems it wont run even with the updated xml-api.

Warning: include_once(/home/myaccount/cpanel_fullbackup
/home/myaccount/cpanel_fullbackup/xmlapi-php/xmlapi.php
): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/peterand/cpanel_fullbackup/perform_cpanel_fullbackup.php on line 49

Warning: include_once(): Failed opening ‘/home/myaccount/cpanel_fullbackup
/home/myaccount/cpanel_fullbackup/xmlapi-php/xmlapi.php
‘ for inclusion (include_path=’.:/usr/local/lib/php’) in /home/myaccount/cpanel_fullbackup/perform_cpanel_fullbackup.php on line 49

Fatal error: Class ‘xmlapi’ not found in /home/myaccount/cpanel_fullbackup/perform_cpanel_fullbackup.php on line 50

john June 19, 2012 at 8:13 pm

This seems to have been the issue, my host had to run it thru…
Litespeed PHP binary, for the cron job to run correctly. So, for some people in this situation hope it helps. I’ll keep my fingers crossed it keeps working!

Thanks!

Paul June 20, 2012 at 7:29 am

Ahh, cool, glad to hear it’s working now John… and thanks for coming back to share how you got it fixed.

It’s a difficult thing getting these scripts working on all various types of web hosting. It is rarely the script, but an environment setting that needs tweaked.

Glad you have had success!
Cheers,

ian July 9, 2012 at 6:53 am

I try and its really nice..thanks. I don’t anymore waste my time in manual back up of sites.

Paul July 9, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Hi Ian,

Glad you’re liking the script – it’s very useful for backup up cPanel without even trying! πŸ™‚

ian July 10, 2012 at 4:18 am

BTW…it is also copying a back up in cpanel home dir.

Paul July 10, 2012 at 11:32 pm

The reason for this is that the cPanel backup function just backs up the whole cPanel account. If you supply an offsite FTP backup location the backup file should be removed and therefore wont be included in the next backup.

ian July 11, 2012 at 12:49 am

Hi Paul,

I provide another server where my back up file would be. But i discover that it is also copying in cpanel account home dir. So i decided to delete the script and delete also the cron job to stop the back up. But the following day its still sending me an email confirmation that the back up is done and it is also still copy the back up in cpanel home dir. Things that is weird because i already delete all script and the cron job.

ian July 12, 2012 at 1:01 am

Hi Paul,

It is almost 2 days that i’m suffering this issue. I deleted all the script and stop the cron job but still it back up in every 5mins. Dont know what to do in order to stop this wierd thing happen. Can you help me , any suggestion?

Thanks

Paul July 12, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Hi Ian,

Something is still running … you wont get the emails if nothing is running so you must have it somewhere. Did you try and set it up on another server or in another location and forget about it?

The script cannot send you emails if it’s not there and not being executed… or, perhaps they are emails from a cPanel backup you might have scheduled through the cPanel interface?

I’m sorry you’re having trouble Ian, but there’s nothing I can do from here – it’s not a problem of the script.

Let me know if you get it sorted – maybe tell your hosting to provider and they can track it..?
Cheers,

ian July 16, 2012 at 2:01 am

Hi Paul,

As far as i remember i only put a script that i have downloaded in one of my cpanel account then i point the back up to a VPS that i have. Finally i noticed that the my cpanel disk space is full because the back up is also copying in home dir. of cpanel account. Then I delete the script that i had copy and also delete the cron job. But then it is still sending me the email that the back up is done. Already contact my hosting provider they said that the cron job is not already running. Thanks. Hopefully you can help me with the issue.

ian July 16, 2012 at 3:31 am

Hi Paul,

Got it…The script was copied in the account that back up in VPS then i restore thier. That why i still receive an email. I deleted the account in back up and all works fine. Thanks..

Paul July 28, 2012 at 11:08 am

Hi Ian,
Glad you found where it was hiding! πŸ™‚

juned September 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Dear Paul

I tried your script, got the mail. somehow the ftp was not working fine. got error
Net::FTP=GLOB(0x1f92a70)<<>> QUIT
Net::FTP=GLOB(0x1f92a70)<<< 221 Goodbye.

Also, recd another mail

Success – Backup has started. Please wait while the backup is performed and the FTP attempted. This can take a while depending on how much data is being backed-up and to where you're copying it
If the FTP transfer fails for whatever reason, the backup file may be left at the source server.

Backup sucessful mail is recd.. if ftp was not fine, then with reference of another mail, the backup should must on home directory.. but im unable to get it.. kindly help

Paul September 14, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Hi Juned,

Thanks for getting in touch. Can you please go to our contact page and send me an email about this – I will then send you a new script file that I’d like you to try.

John September 15, 2012 at 7:07 am

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the cpanel backup script. I have implemented it with cron job and it seems to be working fine. I’m getting the success message in my email but unfortunately i’m not able to see the backup file created on the ftp. Please let me know what could be the reason.

In the far bottom of backup details email following are some lines i think useful for you to understand the issue

Net::FTP=GLOB(0x183ed688)<<>> STOR backup-9.15.2012_02-00-02_spp.tar.gz
Net::FTP=GLOB(0x183ed688)<<>> QUIT
Net::FTP=GLOB(0x183ed688)<<< 221 Goodbye.

John

Paul September 16, 2012 at 11:24 am

Hi John,

I have a newer version of the script available for testing – I believe something in cPanel may have changed and it’s breaking the script for some people.

Can you go to support above and email me and I’ll send you the changed script? It’s a very minor change, but if there’s an error being reported, it’ll help to get it.

Luis October 10, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Hi! thanks for the script is working fine. I have cron to excecute every day for a full backup. I notice that i have only 4 copies on the folder backup. This is de default, is something wrong? Thanks for your reply.

Paul October 14, 2012 at 10:54 am

Hi Luis,

It’s hard to know what’s going on here – do you mean you expect much more than 4? Perhaps you’re running out of disk space to store the backups?

Can you give me more information?

The script will never delete previous backups.

mike October 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Hello,
The script working fine but not on multidatabases cpanel. It backup only one database, so if you have more than one the backup is not opening. What can i change in code to fix this?
thanks a lot

mike October 23, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I found the problem. everything is ok now.
It would be great if we can make full backup from whm without root access and choose witch cpanel we want to backup.
Email for every cpanel to see the client the backup.
Delete the old backup after some number off backups.
thanks for this great script, I was looking days to find something like that.

Rehan November 1, 2012 at 12:48 am

Hi Paul,

Is it possible to use this script to just have the backup file stored locally on the same server where the cPanel account is?

Instead of transferring over FTP or SCP I would instead like the server where I intend to keep my backups rsync into the cPanel server and transfer the file that way.

If this is possible please let me know. Thank you.

Paul November 1, 2012 at 11:10 am

Yes, this is possible. You don’t have to configure the FTP settings in the config.php file. Simply leave it blank and select to not delete the file after the back up and it will leave it there on the server.

If that doesn’t work as you would expect, let me know and I’ll take a look.

Andrew November 1, 2012 at 1:06 am

Hi,

Can someone confirm whether the script is working after the recent cpanel update (released on the 31st)?

Thanks.

Paul November 1, 2012 at 11:13 am

I haven’t tested this script with the latest cPanel, but very confident it won’t have broken with the update. But you never know.

This is on the to-do and if I or anyone else finds an issue I’ll release an update to address it.

Your best bet is to try it and see and report back what you find

Paul

Andrew November 1, 2012 at 2:08 pm

The script was working fine before the update but since the update it doesn’t execute at all. The only thing that changed on my server was cpanel.

So thats why i believe the update might have broken the script.

Thanks for the awesome script though, it makes backing up so easy. I hope a fix is released soon (if the update has indeed broken the script)

Paul November 5, 2012 at 9:22 pm

When you say it’s not working, can you let me know what happens exactly? Do you get an error log created? Any out put at all?

Andrew November 7, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Nothing happens at all. The backup doesn’t start at all . No errors or anything else.

Andrew November 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Nevermind. I got it to work. I was using the older version of the script which doesn’t work with the latest version of cpanel anymore. I downloaded the v 2.0 and this is working just fine.

Thanks once again for this brilliant script. This makes backing up so easy.

Ryan November 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm

The new script is working great! It took a little trial and error to get the websites and ftp settings right. This is a great resource. Well done!

Paul November 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Great news Ryan, glad you like it! πŸ™‚

Ajay November 7, 2012 at 11:27 am

Hi,

i am getting ** FINISH ** message but backup not created.
What is the issue, please let me know.

hugh November 15, 2012 at 2:55 am

Hi Paul,

I have this script running fine, thanks, but what I would like to do is run it to so that the gz file is created in a different directory on the server, and not worry about ftp afterwards. How could I modify the php file to achieve this?

Thanks for your work on this.

Chers.

hugh November 15, 2012 at 3:00 am

Oh, and still get the confirmation email πŸ™‚

Paul November 15, 2012 at 9:46 am

It’s hard to know what to suggest here… I may just add the option to saving them in another folder. I’ll see what I can do with it over the next week or so…

JayT December 5, 2012 at 5:19 pm

The backup is not dropped in any directory. I am also not having errors in the cron log.

Let me know what info you need to help figure this out. Thanks

Paul December 5, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Hi,

Can you give me more details about the errors you’re seeing?

shady mansour December 6, 2012 at 1:38 am

Dears,
Kindly, thank you,and i need our help to make cpanel backup script delete the old backup after make new backup
Best Regards
Shady Mansour

Paul February 6, 2013 at 10:14 am

Hi Shady,

The reseller script we have now deletes old backups if you want to check that out πŸ™‚

Cheers,

Jura Klafura January 21, 2013 at 7:29 pm

When I run the “perform_cpanel_fullbackup.php” script through ssh (putty) I get “Out of memory” error.
I’ve placed the script under my /home/yoozaname/cpbackup/ folder, set it up with verified cpanel/ftp data and ran it using “php -q perform_cpanel_fullbackup.php” command.
It seems the error_log is not created, but I can’t find the reason for memory exhaustion except maybe the shared hosting deal.
The full backup runs fine when started manually, both local and passive ftp way.

Paul February 6, 2013 at 10:15 am

Hi Jura,

Doesn’t sound good, sorry, but it just uses cPanel’s native API. My guess is that it’s a web host problem you have, and nothing else, especially if the other methods are working.

If you get this resolved, I’d be interested to hear how you did it.

Matt February 6, 2013 at 4:28 am

Hi There

I have implemented the script, and the backup is being created correctly. However I’m unsure if the FTP is actually working. When I made a typo in the username for the FTP, the error log was generated – great!

However when that was resolved, I have no error log (which seems to be good), but have no idea what is happening with the file. It is about a 1Gb generated file, so understand it would take some time to transfer.

This said, is there any option to turn on full debugging, so one can see in a text file, what steps the script is up to?

Cheers,
Matt

Paul February 6, 2013 at 10:20 am

Hi Matt,

1GB… that suggests to me, that you could be running into issues with timeouts on the server – it really depends on how your host is configured.

Since with the MySQL script it’s relying on PHP to copy, and not cPanel native functions, you’re likely to hit a problem with timeouts.

If you’re looking for a robust solution for large files and large sites, then you need to try WorpDrive WordPress backup and recovery solution. It’s affordable, and works very well – there’s theoretically no website size limits πŸ™‚

I’ll perhaps have a chance to look at updating the script for better logging… but time is elusive :-\

Good luck! πŸ™‚

Matt February 6, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Thanks Paul, that would be appreciated.

If you get a chance to better logging, can I add time stamping to the wishlist πŸ™‚

I actually got the script to complete, after tweaking the timeout period (600 to 1200). As it is only going to be running once a week, I have no issue with a longer execution time. I think the other issue is that there is a upload issue back to the cloud where I’m storing (Online Storage with GoDaddy).

At the moment I’m kinda between proof of concept and implementing 100% as I want to ensure that the backup is actually reaching the destination (not a fault of your script at all), and that it is actually useful to restore (once again, its a cpanel thing, not the script. But a backup is only as good as its ability to restore data πŸ™‚

I’ll check out the worpdrive side of things, as well as worpit.

Cheers,
Matt

Paul February 7, 2013 at 10:22 am

Glad the timeouts fixed that and I hope it works such that it’s a valid restore. I guess they should be fine given they are native cPanel backups.

Let me know how you get on sure, or if you have any other suggestions for the script, or otherwise.

Cheers,

Penko Penev February 11, 2013 at 11:53 am

i have tried script but on the end of email log there is error:
Can’t call method β€œlogin” on an undefined value at /usr/local/cpanel/bin/ftpput line 18.

File isn’t copied to remote ftp server and it’s deleted from my home directory.

cPanel Version 11.34.0 (build 11)

Paul February 11, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Hi Penko,

Not sure what this means exactly… some problem/configuration issue with your web hosting. Best to contact them directly as the error originate in cPanel.

Let me know if you find the solution.

ram April 18, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Hi, how to backup the db/tables with name includes timestamp and create seperate backup file which differ in timestamp. please help me out

Paul April 18, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Hi Ram,

This is how the backup works… it creates a new file for each database with a time-stamp.

Hope that helps,

ram April 19, 2013 at 5:50 pm

hi paul
This is ram ,where is the solution, i couldn’t find it.plz help me out
write a event in mysql to backup the db/tables with name includes timestamp and create seperate backup file according to scheduled time in event,which differ in timestamp. please help me out

ram April 20, 2013 at 7:44 am

give me a query in mysql to take the backup of the db

Paul April 20, 2013 at 10:19 am

Ram,
This script will do it for you, you don’t need mysql queries. Please watch the video.

Thanks.

Geoff June 16, 2013 at 8:32 am

Great script, thank you! It nicely replaces the Windows Service I created, however there is one issue with it – the files are twice the size of those created manually through CPanel->Backup.
This will no doubt be the character encoding, however I cannot find any options for setting this.
I’m very surprised that the same CPanel detects correctly through one system and not another.
Any help would be greatly appreciated πŸ™‚

andrew July 22, 2013 at 12:06 pm

hello guys,

I want to use this script on my website and after i try few time, i got this error:

‘No host defined’ in /home/…/cpanel_fullbackup/xmlapi-php/xmlapi.php:233

Any ideas of what i do wrong?

Andrew

andrew July 23, 2013 at 10:35 am

sorted out!

Thanks again for the script πŸ™‚

Paul November 15, 2012 at 9:35 am

Ahh… I never thought to suggest to make sure you had the latest version of the script. Glad to hear it’s all sorted.